How to Sell Certified Refurbished Products on Amazon Renewed
This guide will walk you through what Amazon Renewed is, how to get started, what is required of you as a seller, and how to successfully sell certified refurbished products.
What is Amazon Renewed?
There are three different types of products that you can sell on Amazon Renewed:
Refurbished: Products that are probably used and that the customer has either returned because they were defective or because they no longer wanted.
Preserved: Products that are likely used, but were in better condition than a refurbished product when they were returned.
Open packaging: products whose packaging has been opened but the actual product has not been used.
Qualified Amazon Renewed sellers have these devices professionally inspected, tested, and cleaned to keep them looking and working like new before repackaging and reselling them.
And with the program’s guarantee, buyers can rest assured that products purchased through Amazon Renewed will work like new – as promised.
What Certified Refurbished Products can you sell online through Amazon Renewed?
Amazon Renewed is a program that enables products that cannot be sold as “new” (but are in good enough condition to meet Amazon and consumer standards) to reach the Amazon marketplace.
Sellers can sell reconditioned, used, and open products in these categories:
- Auto parts
- Headphones & audio
- domestic appliances
- Tools for household and industry
- Kitchen appliances
- Laptops and computers
- Musical instruments
- Outdoor & sport
- Office equipment
- Video game consoles
How to Sell Refurbished Products on Amazon Renewed
1. Register to become an Amazon seller
In order to sell certified refurbished, used and open products on Amazon Renewed, you must first be a registered seller on Amazon.
If this is your first time selling on Amazon, you can sign up as a seller by going to Amazon Seller Central and creating a new account.
2. Find product opportunities
Since you need to prove to Amazon that you have enough inventory before you can sell on Amazon Renewed, it is important that you first find the item that you want to sell.
Of course, you don’t want to just buy anything. Similar to any other method of selling on Amazon, you need to know what is actually in demand and what kind of competition to expect.
Look for products that meet the following criteria:
High demand and little competition. The product should sell hundreds – if not thousands – of units per month without many other sellers in the niche active.
It is not sold by Amazon or a private label seller. Make sure the product you are interested in is not competing directly with Amazon. Also, avoid items that are sold under a third-party private label. You will also not be able to sell through these listings.
Make sure you can make the price of the product competitive. Your price should be within 2% of the current buy box price of the product. Anything on top makes it a lot harder to sell your product.
3. Procure products
Once you know which products are in high demand and have little competition, you need to source those products.
Fortunately, there are a few different ways you can get hold of such products:
Liquidation Companies: Some third-party companies buy excess goods from manufacturers, do the remanufacturing themselves, and then sell those goods to distributors and retailers like you.
Manufacturers: Some manufacturers sell remanufactured goods directly to third-party suppliers and retailers.
Alibaba: If you’re already a fan of the private label process, then you probably won’t be surprised to find that Alibaba certified refurbished merchandise is also available for wholesale.
4. Apply and qualify to sell on Amazon Renewed
Now that you know what you will be selling and where you will be getting these products from, you must apply and qualify to sell on Amazon Renewed.
These are the requirements you must meet in order to sell on Amazon Renewed:
- You must be able to provide invoices showing that you have met Amazon’s minimum order quantity: you must either purchase $ 50,000 in qualifying remanufactured products or at least 500 remanufactured units within 90 days of submitting your claim. Additionally, items with a retail price of $ 15 or less will not count towards the 500 remanufactured devices. However, the program allows you to blank out either the required quantity or the required dollar amount on your bills. That means you can include low priced products. However, this only applies if you choose to submit invoices with dollar amounts instead of quantities.
- If you are an existing seller on Amazon, you must maintain an order error rate (ODR) of 0.8% or less in the last 90 days.
- Your company must provide a minimum 90-day warranty on all of its Certified Refurbished products.
- If you want to list remanufactured products with no manufacturer warranty, you will need to obtain approval. To do this, you must submit at least eight images of a sample device so that Amazon can perform a product and packaging review. You need to show them the box the product came in, the inner packaging and padding, a top and bottom view of the product, and pictures of all four sides of the item.
- If you’ve decided to sell remanufactured Apple products, you’ll need to get approval first. And to get approval, you’ll need to submit invoices to Amazon for a total of $ 2.5 million for refurbished Apple products dated to the past 90 days.
5. Start selling and grow your business
Once you are through the application process, you can start listing all of your certified reconditioned, used and open products, as well as adding offers to existing pages.
Why should you sell refurbished products on Amazon Renewed?
Selling certified, refurbished products on Amazon Renewed offers a number of benefits.
Take part in an exclusive program and avoid competition
Not everyone can sell certified refurbished products on Amazon. Only sellers who meet Amazon’s criteria and are able to consistently sell as good as new products are allowed to sell on Amazon Renewed. That means that there is a huge chance of success for the few who are accepted.
Sell to millions of loyal Amazon customers
Enjoy a high level of customer trust due to the strict customer satisfaction targets that Amazon has set for measuring seller performance. Not to mention that Amazon’s US marketplace alone has more than 2 billion visitors each month, with conversion rates in the double digits.
Use the proven e-commerce solutions from Amazon
Amazon’s sales tools and fulfilment capabilities enable you to sell as-new products to customers in Amazon’s global marketplaces.
Just grow your business
This sales method complements practices that you may already be using in your company, such as wholesale and private label. By adding Amazon Renewed to your current business model, you can increase both your overall sales and your brand.
Tips for increasing sales with Amazon Renewed
In addition, these tips will help you succeed with the Amazon Renewed program:
- Price your products at least 20% lower than the “new” price and within 2% of the “used” Buy Box price.
- Add at least 15 stock keeping units (SKUs) to get started.
- Offer “Best Deals” for your refurbished, used and open products.
- Use Amazon’s Sponsored Products advertising program to direct traffic to your newly created certified refurbished ASINs (Amazon Standard Identification Numbers).
- Amazon recommends that you consider both manual and automatic campaigns. However, for manual campaigns, it is best to use broad keywords to drive initial traffic to an ASIN.
How Zonmaster Can Help
If you do opt to try Amazon Renewed don’t forget that Zonmaster can offer you the same exciting tools – autoresponders, auto review requestors, sales statistics and more – for Amazon Renewed as well as your usual Amazon FBA/FBM sales!
Get started with Amazon Renewed today!
So, if you’re looking to start selling on Amazon or expand your existing Amazon business, Amazon Renewed is a great opportunity.